A lot of families take the opportunity to travel during the Independence Day holiday, visiting friends and family all over the country. If you’re planning to be away from home this Fourth of July, and are looking for the best fireworks in the country, we’ve got you covered.
- Macy’s Fireworks Display, New York City, NY: Every year New York City puts on a huge show, complete with over 40,000 pyrotechnic shells fired from six barges on the Hudson River. The New York Pops Orchestra and Mormon Tabernacle Choir provide music during the twenty-six minute breathtaking display. Macy’s has been putting on this amazing show since 1958, so with more than sixty-years under their belt, you can guarantee it’s a must-see.
- Washington D.C.: What better place could their possibly be to celebrate Independence Day than the nation’s capitol? D.C. celebrates in style, including putting on an annual show on the West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol that broadcasts live on PBS each year. The National Symphony Orchestra puts on a compelling show, followed by a beautiful fireworks display. Folks who want to attend need to make sure they get there by 3 p.m. on July 4, as admission is on a first come, first serve basis.
- Boston, MA: Home of the American Revolution, Boston has been putting on an amazing extravaganza since 1973. Televised each year on the CBS network, hundreds of people from all over the country line up along the Charles River to enjoy the Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular. This celebration is jam-packed with exciting events and guests, and this year country music icon, Toby Keith will be performing. Oh, how I wish we were going to Boston this year!
- Las Vegas, NV: Who needs fireworks in the most colorful and well-lit city in America? If you happen to be family vacationing in Vegas this year, fear not. There are dozens of amazing displays all over the city, including the America Concert at Lake Las Vegas. Tickets for this event are a little pricey, but I suppose if you’re in Vegas, you’re doing some big spending anyway. The good news is kids under 2 get in free!
- Disney World, Orlando, FL: Disney is known for its beautiful nightly fireworks displays, so you as you can imagine they step up their game during Independence Day. Not only will a special “Celebrate America” show light up the night at 9 p.m. in the Magic Kingdom, guests at Disney’s Hollywood Studios can enjoy a rock and roll fireworks show set to music at 9:50 p.m. If you happen to be at Epcot Center, they are spicing up their regular “IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth” show, which features lasers, special effects and fireworks, with a patriotic grand finale. It’s Disney, so you know it’s going to be good!
No matter where you are this Independence Day, community fireworks displays will draw in people from all over the country. So pack up the kids and the car, and head out to see the fireworks. You never know who you might meet.